Wednesday, July 31, 2013

End of Slumber: Interview with Ataul



Let’s begin with the band history?
I started Ataul around March 2012. I have 3 songs ready at that time. The first rehearsal was around May, only me on guitars and Edu On drums at that time. We needed to find a guitarist to complete the line-up and so I can handle bass duties. After days passed finding a guitarist, Nonong joined as of late June. After rehearsing almost every weekend, the demo was then recorded on January.
We haven’t booked any gigs yet, as I wanted to record first before playing live.
And as of April 2013, Edu departed from Ataul, and for whatever reason it is, it will stay that way. We have a session drummer as of now, helping us to record the new material due later this year.

Why old school doom/death, it seem to be the least known sub-genre in the local scene?
 I guess I wanted something not too slow and not too fast. Or maybe it just ended up that way, sounding a mix between death metal and doom metal, or maybe because I’m listening to too much old school metal or whatever you want to call it.
Least known, I’m not even aware of any bands playing in the same vein as ours, if you have recommendations, send them to me!

How you got into the underground? Who are your favorite bands?
I guess I’m not into what’s easily accessible and much more audible when it comes to music. I’d rather dig much deeper than be content with what the masses consume. I refuse to submit!
I’m really into Black and Death Metal, and I also listen to various metal genres. Rippikoulu , Avsky, Zemial, Father Befouled, Mgla, Reverend Bizarre, Evoken, Crowned In Semen… that what’s going on my head right now, tomorrow it’s different. There’s too much to mention, I can go on and fill this page.

What makes the underground music very interesting to you?
 The never ending possibilities.

How do your friends who have no idea what this music’s about react when they learn that you’re in a death metal band?
 Curious, but they don’t want to listen to it because they know it’s all noise. You know the stereo-typical don’t you? But we’d stay friends, just set aside the musical part.

Aside from death metal what other music do you often listen to?
Black/Thrash/Speed/Heavy Metal, and all that will bring pleasure to my ears. I also listen to some Punk and Classic/Hard Rock.

Tell us about your first demo, how long did it take you to complete the 3 songs?
It was five songs actually, the other two didn’t make it because I didn’t like the drum tracks. It took us almost 8 hours to complete these songs. Drums and rhythm section were recorded first. Then I have to record guitar 2, Bass, and vocals and Nonong took in for the solos. I’m a bit exhausted after that. But in the end, we finished the recording.

Lyrically, what are the songs about?
  Doom and apocalypse. And what I foresee after we leave this human form.

Have you submitted the demo to any labels and zines? What are their reactions like for the demo? 
I did send some copies to fanzines, but only limited. To labels, I didn’t sent out copies, because I initially wanted this demo to be self-released as a CDr and stay that way, I just wanted it to be free just like a promo copy. Anyways, things have been done, then so be it. Reactions for the demo were quite positive. I’ve read somewhere, and was compared to Goatlord, Necro Schizma. Which I doubt it, that we sound like them, though I listen to Goatlord (One of my favourites) and Necro Schizma, but that’s their opinion and not mine.

In what ways do you promote the band?
Giving copies to metalheads, distros, fanzines and anyone interested on our music. We are currently planning on doing live shows at moment, when something comes up, then we’ll see. And also when I do trades abroad, I always include the demo for them to hear. I much rely on people to do the promotion /recommendation of Ataul being a death/doom outfit from our own land.

The demo was recorded in Noiseworks. How was the studio experience?
It was good, I had a chance to work with Dondi again. My band Rabies recorded 3 songs from there previously, so it wouldn’t be a hard time for me keeping up. And we were the first to use his newly acquired gears. I guess it’s a bit exhausting for me as I have to record three parts of every song, guitars, bass, vocals, but it ended well.

Tell us about the bands’ song writing process?
 I write most of the songs. I record them at home using a drum machine and after the arrangements are done, I send the songs to my band mates, for them to hear. Nonong adds a riff or two, then I add some of my riffs to complete the song, then I write the lyrics.

Tape version of the demo is available under Mandarangan Records. How did you end up closing the deal with this label?
 Edu closed the deal with Mandarangan Recordings.

Tell us about the awesome artwork that Norman did for the tape version of the demo. How did you get hold of Norman to do it?
 I like what Norman did for the artwork. I didn’t dealt with him, Edu did.

Michael, you also play with Rabies, can you tell us about this band? I joined Rabies back in September 2011 I think, Vic contacted me because they needed a bass player, then rehearsals went on. I also got a chance to record with them for the first time at Noiseworks, it was three new tracks found on the “Survive the slaughter” demo tape by Dethrone Records.
We will also be recording new material later this year, and all I can say is “expect some old school trashing madness!”


Edu also runs a label, Lifespan Records. I haven’t heard much about the label’s activity these days?
Haven’t heard much of him also. Maybe the label is on hiatus or something or he’s busy doing shit.

You guys live in Laguna and Manila, do distant have any effect in the band?
We are all from Laguna. I’m from Los Baños, Nonong Is from Bay (Next town to mine), Edu is from Sta. Cruz (About 45min-1 hour commute), though our rehearsals always at Los Baños. Distance doesn’t’ bother me, because on my other band Rabies, I’m the only one from Los Baños, all of them are from Sn. Pablo which takes me 45min-1 hour commute on our weekly rehearsals and I’ve been playing for Rabies for 2 years now.

Most of the band nowadays uses the social media to promote their band but it seems Ataul is not that keen in using this media to spread the word, why?
I’m just too lazy to put up info’s on the internet that’s all. Maybe someone would put them up for us, even if that happens, I don’t mind. And I also prefer a word-of-mouth type for this band.

Have you written any new songs lately? How have you progressed In terms of song-writing?
Currently we are working on new material and will be recording hopefully by the end of the year. It’s a planned five song release. Two songs from here were recorded previously on the demo but didn’t make it, and we wil re-record a new version of it. On the new material, I can say that it’s more darker and gloomy than the previous release. So again, expect some Death, Doom And Destruction. (Haha! that was from Cianide)

What are you plans in the near future?
Record/Release more material. Play more shows. Spread the word of Metal!
ataul_ph@yahoo.com




















No comments:

Post a Comment